Friday, April 2, 2010

Decorating a spring mantel ...


I found this marble egg cup at the Concord, MA vintage shop Nesting on Main last week. It was just what I needed to add a touch of spring to a predominantly white mantel that I was putting together for a client. Also at Nesting I came across a collection of mercury glass votive candle holders. I picked up a pair of them, then added an arrangement of moss and branches to establish vertical interest at each end of the symmetrically-styled mantel.



The center of the mantel features a beautiful vintage
white urn from Nesting, which is flanked with
reflective surfaces to contrast with the
natural texture of the stone. Fresh greens
provide a burst of spring color.




Black and white framed family photos add a
personal touch to the completed mantel.




This photo shows a second choice for pillows at the hearth. I really like the color of the aubergine linen pillow combined with the red seat cushions that we had custom made last year. The white urn is a good contrast in front of the black fire screen, but it’s not really practical to have a fragile antique down low with little ones in the house. The delicate white pillow, although pretty in a picture, is being saved for one of my upcoming design projects for the same reason!





I had to show you their antique owl andirons.
Aren’t they fabulous with their yellow gaze?



Please join me for more spring
decorating tips next week!



1 comment:

  1. The owls are fab! And mercury glass is such a favorite...you pulled together a lovely mantel.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I would love to hear your thoughts on today’s post. Please note: all comments will be reviewed before being published to protect readers from spam. Thank you!