Friday, November 13, 2009

In search of treasures ...


Wednesdays at 10pm on the Sundance Channel

Can I just say how much I adore this show? Keith Johnson, buyer-at-large for over 100 Anthropologie stores in the United States, has the stellar job of treasure hunting for decorative antiques and found objects to sell, reproduce and repurpose for the unique market place that is “Anthropologie.” In viewing several of the last episodes of this new design TV favorite of mine, I was pleased to see the story behind some of the pieces that I have presented to clients (or have chosen as favorites of my own). As a decorator, I am always on the lookout for that unusual piece ... something I haven’t seen before. I always try to show my clients something they might not have chosen for themselves, but still a piece that may be reflective of their “inner designer.”

My chair! Photo taken while watching the Sundance Channel

I used the Antwerp Chair (shown above and below)
on a polyvore ad that I created awhile back.
I love it for its bold twist on the traditional ...

And here it is in my vignette ...


Design Vignettes



I thought this colorful Magpie Chandelier from Anthropologie would look so cool paired in a room with this modern piece of original art that is in the home of one of my clients ...

“Flowers for my Love”
A collaboration between two artists:
Clemente and Jefro

Made up of bits-and-pieces, the uniquely playful chandelier was ridiculously expensive, but after watching a recent episode I have now learned why ... it is commission-based and completely handmade by a collaborative of artists based in South Africa!

The challenge Johnson faces as a buyer of artful items is finding never-seen-before pieces that will be both eye-catching and profitable for the Anthropologie stores. While the hunt from antique store to roadside markets isn’t always an easy journey, it sure looks like fun. Sign me up, please!

If I had to pick a few items from Anthropologie to go with the theme of Beth Hylan’s Design Studio, these are what I would use either for display or resale ...

Buzzwords Pillow
These would so go with Beth’s
vintage collage pieces





This gravure printed wallpaper available exclusively at Anthropologie would look fab on the back wall of my designer corner in Beth’s studio.



This reference book available at Anthropologie reminds me of the large collection of vintage books that Beth uses to create her works of art, combining steel plate prints with antique text.



Lace-Strewn Knob

I might use a set of these knobs
on a “trash-to-treasure” piece that I am
planning on putting in the Studio.

I like how this piece matches my item tags ...


Castle Key Bottle Opener


I die! This one-of-a-kind Gladiator Bird Finch with Key (so me!) has already been snatched up and is no longer available. Sigh! If I were to pick out something to cheer me up for my loss, I would take home these ...

How cute would these holiday ornaments be hanging in a boys room? However, I would need just one more!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I would love to hear your thoughts on today’s post. Please note: all comments will be reviewed before being published to protect readers from spam. Thank you!