Thursday, April 24, 2014

Bringing the outside in ...


watercolor landscape by Anne Rogers of Lynnfield Art Guild


Each spring I look forward to participating in “Art in Bloom, the annual collaboration between the Village Home and Garden Club of Lynnfield and local artists. This year, I was inspired by the watercolor above painted by Anne Rogers. To me, the simple landscape was beautiful. With its expansive green lawn, it reminds me of one of the golf courses in town that whenever I drive past it, I vow to take up the sport just to enjoy a close up view of the immaculately landscaped grounds. 





I chose to combine a trio of orchid plants adorned with yellow twigs to represent the small patch of trees in the center of the painting. A small arrangement of green chrysanthemums in a silver vase placed in the foreground stand in for the evergreen bushes that dot the open field.

It seems as if my arranging style has become quite minimalist over the years, favoring groupings of same flowers and repetition of color. This is probably a result of my work schedule taken up more of my free time, but it is still a good example of how a simple flower can add beauty and drama without the fuss. Anyone can do this!





Along with bringing an arrangement for inside the library, I also had the job of decorating the front display window at the entrance of the building. Since our garden club is now a Home and Garden Club (membership has doubled!) I focused on showing ways to “bring the outside in when decorating interiors. I brought one of my favorite prints from home and paired it with fresh lillies in a black vintage teapot. Wallcoverings, paint chips, fabric swatches and garden inspired objects filled the case. 



It was kind of a hodge-podge of design ideas, but in person I believe it looked a little more inspiring. I especially enjoyed being able to include origami birds folded in spring colored papers by my son Owen. Had to pay him $5, but it was worth it! Below are some of my nature inspired decorating ideas ...



Arts + Crafts style wall covering
from Victoria + Albert Museum


from Bassett Furniture








A recent window treatment project I designed with this fabric for a client




White Dogwood, Azalea Flower, Coming up Roses



Lily by Sherwin Williams


Daffodil by Sherwin Williams


Daisy by Sherwin Williams




a bouquet of purples from Sherwin Williams
Obi Lilac, Radiant Lilac, Valiant Violet




origami art by Owen




grasscloth





How do you bring the outside in?










No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I would love to hear your thoughts on today’s post. Please note: all comments will be reviewed before being published to protect readers from spam. Thank you!