Sunday, May 19, 2013

Celebrating Great Gatsby Style



Oh dear, I think I may have a touch of Gatsby fever ... have you seen the movie yet? It has been on my list of girls-nights-out but I have yet to make it to the theatre. I did, however, make it to the Wenham Musuem 90th Birthday Gala held at Misselwood Estate in Beverly in early May. For the past four years, I have been one of the participating designers for their annual North Shore Design Show. This year, however, they chose to have a birthday celebration off-site instead of hosting the show at the museum. And what a party they had!






The museum first opened in 1922, so the theme was very Great Gatsby. The ocean side estate charmed us with its architectural details and scenic location. Mint juleps were served. A pre-party viewing of the Kentucky Derby was the only sign of the present day. If it were not for the big screen and surround sound, I could have sworn we were in another era. An era that I could certainly feel right at home in, and so could my design friends ...




With designer Linda Hentschel of I-Design Interiors



Designers Stacy Clarimundo and Kristina Crestin



Designers Jill Janasiewicz and Eric M. Haydel


Un chapeaux switcheroo!


Two designers living in the same town meet for the first time!


Fascinators sparkle while a swing band plays dance tunes 
(love the iPhone in the foreground!) 


Engraved silver julep cups with rich red roses


Chocolate fountains were in vogue in the 20s right?
Delicious menu provided by Creative Catering


A wealth of fabulous items were auctioned off to benefit the mission of
the Wenham Museum: to protect, preserve and interpret the artifacts of childhood,
domestic life and the history and culture of Boston’s North Shore.


Cidalia Schwartz of Lyon-Waugh Auto Group
with Rick Sedler of Northshore Magazine



Linda imagining a Mini test drive



Marlene Pippins and Honorary Chair
Rita Cary from The River 92.5 


Great Gatsby fashion ... cream lace with pearls


 
Pam and Rick Sedler with Kristin Noon,
Executive Director of the Wenham Museum


Lots of dancing on the floor ... lessons were provided.


 
This sweet couple danced all night!


Wenham Museum’s Mary Barthelmes and her husband Bob with Eric Haydel


A gathering of Wenham Museum supporters and fans!
(Sally Wilson with the tiara : )





If being a guest wasn’t good fortune enough, I also won the Kentucky Derby horse race raffle (thank you, Golden Soul!) and took home a gift certificate to Viola Lovely in Wenham. 

I have to say, the entire evening was so much fun! Just to be able to step outside the hectic pace of our everyday lives and go back in time to the simple glamour and elegance of another era. A special thank you goes to the board members of the Wenham Museum for hosting, and additional gratitude goes to my friend Laura Thomson for whipping up a fresh floral fascinator for me at a moment’s notice (see a great shot of the peony up close on her design blog).

I know for sure that I will be back to this gorgeous seaside estate (our nephew is getting married at Misselwood in August) and I know for sure that it will be equally fabulous!!




For a glimpse of the sights and sounds of the Wenham Museum 90th Birthday Gala, click here.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I would love to hear your thoughts on today’s post. Please note: all comments will be reviewed before being published to protect readers from spam. Thank you!