Monday, April 15, 2013

Choosing paint colors: girls rooms

“The space upstairs is amazing – better than I could ever imagine. Besides the space we gained –  the colors in the rooms are the first thing people react to. It is perfect. My girls are so happy.” – my client of 6 years

I promised to start sharing more of my design work so I am starting with some recent consultation projects. First up is a pair of girls rooms. My client decided to raise the roof on her Cape style home, and in the process she was able to add a full size bath where there was none, and the two existing bedrooms were expanded to include lots more wall space (bye bye slanted ceilings and window dormers!) plus two generous sized walk in closets (one in each room).

Well you can imagine that any girl of any age would love this new arrangement, and these pre-teen girls were no exception. While mom had plenty of design ideas of her own, I was called in to help finalize the color choices based on bedding that each of the girls had chosen. I also offered some space planning tips and ideas for accessorizing. I’m not going to show the entire rooms just yet, as they are still a work in progress (our last meeting involved window treatment ideas), but I really liked how the color combinations came out so here they are ...



{ Younger daughter’s room }


Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Bright White on a vintage vanity set



Clients daughter chose the bedding








{ Oldest daughter’s room }

Annie Sloan chalk paint in Paris Gray mixed with Pure White
on both the standing floor mirror and vintage cabinet


Bedding is currently in a classic blue toile print
(not this exact pattern, but very close)

Top portion of wall plus ceiling: Benjamin Moore Dalila 319






{ Before }





The girls shared a room back in 2007 when I first started consulting with this adorable young family. The chosen look was more shabby chic at the time, with matching white iron twin beds covered in charming floral fabric quilts for these little ones who were barely in elementary school. I recommended a soft spring green for the walls and suggested that the original slanted ceiling be painted in the same color. This makes such a big difference in a dormered room in creating a space that looks and feels more expansive. At the time, this one little painting tip was something my client had never thought of, and she was very nervous about doing it, but then very happy to have taken my advice. Weve been working together ever since  : )

I still get asked to schedule color consultations on a regular basis from both new and previous clients. These are some of my favorite projects, because the results are so immediate. If you need help selecting a color, give me a call. Id be more than happy to help you decide!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I would love to hear your thoughts on today’s post. Please note: all comments will be reviewed before being published to protect readers from spam. Thank you!