Saturday, January 15, 2011

A new creative venture ...

Photo by Yvonne Blacker

In my last post, I mentioned my love for picture books (or more specifically design magazines). I have always loved to read, and I remember when the books I read no longer had illustrations in them – it truly saddened me knowing that I could no longer turn the page and see a new picture to accompany the storyline. Even today, when I watch my son – who is just getting the hang of reading out loud – enthusiastically sneak a peek of the illustration on the next page just to see how the plot in the story is going to unfold, I am reminded of why a good picture is worth a thousand words. That is one of the reasons I love reading blogs. There are so many pretty pictures, plus there is usually an interesting story to follow as well.

Today I have a story for you ...


Photo by Yvonne Blacker

After setting up some of my design items at the lifestyle boutique New England Fine Living, I discovered that the owner, Linda Smith, and I have a lot in common – we both love creative design and enjoy sharing our favorite sources with others (her website provides all types of design related content and, yes, lots of great pictures, too!) She has even produced print magazines in the past. I asked her if she would be interested in having a digital magazine that represents the items and vendors in her boutique, but would also provide a lot of great creative content about life in New England. She said “God, Yes!



Photo by Yvonne Blacker

With so many traditional shelter magazines out there closing up shop, I have discovered a lot of digital magazines are taking their place, and many are actually being produced by design bloggers (see Rue and Lonny for example). I figured now was a good time for me to give this new technology a try. I have been blogging about design for about two years now, and while I love decorating interiors, I still enjoy putting visuals together – both on paper and online – to promote the many creative businesses that I come across. The fact that Linda also loves to promote other businesses as much as she enjoys designing a room or putting together a great event, made me think that we really should combine our creative efforts ...





So today, I am happy to announce that the first issue of New England Finery Magazine will premiere next month! We have already shot our cover on location with a professional photographer, and feature stories are in the works.

As co-founders, Linda and I are hoping to showcase all that is wonderful about New England ... places to visit, stylish events, local fashion designers, great interiors, and fine products created in or inspired by the historic charm and Yankee ingenuity of New England.
I am so excited to be working on this new creative project, and I know that it will be a great way to help other businesses to increase their exposure online.

If you have a business or product that is unique to New England and would like to advertise, contact us directly. Or if there is a New England-based story that you could imagine would be a great addition to the pages of this new online magazine, just let us know! We hope to share a little bit of the best of New England with each issue : )

P.S. The photos on this post are just a sneak peek of what will be included in the first issue! Stay tuned, there’s more to come ...




For advertising rates and information, e-mail
Linda@NewEnglandFineLiving.com

3 comments:

  1. I am so excited for this new venture! This digital magazine is going to be great!!! ~Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both your work so this project is going to be exceptional! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an exciting venture, Yvonne! I am so excited to get the photos to you...I think you are going to have fun with them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I would love to hear your thoughts on today’s post. Please note: all comments will be reviewed before being published to protect readers from spam. Thank you!