Monday, March 9, 2009

Designing with art and flowers


Monday night was the opening of “Art in Bloom at the Lynnfield Library” – a local version of the popular MFA show that is held in Boston each spring. As a member of the Village Garden Club of Lynnfield I get to try my hand at interpreting a local artist’s work (most of whom are members of the Lynnfield Art Guild) with flowers.

This year, I interpreted “Lady in Venice” as painted by Judith Barry. This contemporary work stands out with its bold and confident strokes of vivid colors. Being such a large piece, I felt the subject matter should command center stage while my flowers would play a supporting role, with an appreciative nod to the rich blocks of colors in the painting.

Why I chose the objects in this vignette:

An iron cherub statue mimics the upstretched arm of the subject — and seemed Italian to me — while a candlestick with graceful curves (like the subject) holds a lone yellow chrysanthemum.

Three square glass vases (to repeat the shapes of the buildings in the distance) are filled with solid groups of flowers (carnations, sunflowers, roses) that repeat the colors in her dress and the objects around her. Each vase is lined with a large leaf to hide flower stems from view.

The role serendipity played ...

I just received a box of fabric remnants and trims from a friend this weekend. On the very top was this watery blue fabric with stars that looked Venetian to me, and happened to be cut in the exact size that would cover the table. As luck would have it, there was just the right amount of golden fringe in the box as well. Out came the sewing machine plus some fabric glue and “voila!”


Try it at home ...

I love using square vases when decorating a dining table they are small enough to see over, but dramatic enough to make an impact without being fussy. I picked these ones up at a local craft store. I would probably put together three of these arrangements using identical flowers for a dinner party. My favorite in this grouping is definitely the sunflowers ... very casual chic.


I really enjoyed creating this floral still life, but seeing how everyone else interpreted their pieces was even more amazing. Be sure to check out the show (this week only) if you are in need of some “art and flower therapy!”


“Art in Bloom at the Lynnfield Library”
Lynnfield, Massachusetts
Monday, March 9th – Saturday, March 14th
Call library for times: 781-334-5411



Here are some leftover flowers that I used
for petite arrangements at home ...



Outside on my picnic table for a photo shoot
my favorite vintage container overflowing
with a simple
lions-mane-like grouping ...


On the ground the first signs of spring to come ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I would love to hear your thoughts on today’s post. Please note: all comments will be reviewed before being published to protect readers from spam. Thank you!